Vega Gamleby was built in 1909 in Viken, Sweden. She has sailed the Baltic Seas for many years up until a motor was built in the ship in 1932. Until 1937, her home ports were Lerberget and Hoganas. Later, she found her hometown in Skarhamn until 1966. After she was bought by director B. Guthenberg, she left the west coast and was put into work as a transporter of Stockholm transport supplies to Cape Verde.